RetroChristian

10.04.2005

Conflicting Realities

I hate when this happens. How many really died? Simple question, should be simple to answer.

Loss of bodies adds to grief of many families
"Cataldie, a former medical examiner, acknowledged that identifying and releasing bodies has been painfully slow. Of the nearly 8,000 bodies taken to the morgue, he said, just 32 have been identified positively and another 340 have been identified tentatively.

Because many bodies decomposed in heat and floodwaters after being left uncollected, Cataldie said, some victims never will be identified and their cause of death never known."


La. Search for Katrina Dead Ends at 964
"The search for Hurricane Katrina victims has ended in Louisiana with a death toll at 964, but more searches will be conducted if someone reports seeing a body, a state official said Monday."

6 Comments:

  • At 2:10 PM , Blogger Glintir said...

    I find the quote further down more interesting.

    "There might still be bodies found _ for instance, if a house was locked and nobody able to go into it," Johannessen said.

    So, you're telling me that in a city where everything is basically trash, when they went searching for bodies and health hazards and so on, they felt locked doors shouldn't be forced? Heck, why bust down the door of a house that's going to be torn down anyway just to find somebodies missing loved one.

    Thanks for the link, BTW.

     
  • At 2:17 PM , Blogger RC said...

    There are still a lot of homes left. In fact, none of my family (most of them lived in downtown New Orleans and hope to return soon) lost their homes although there was flooding and now mold.

    Still, government has to respect property rights even in such situations.

     
  • At 3:29 PM , Blogger Glintir said...

    I wasn't referring to areas with minimal damage, that wouldn be highly unlikely to have dead, but to the areas that had been submerged.

    While I do agree that government shouldn't go overboard, this seems like an exception . It's a disaster area, it's under martial law or close to it (I don't recall if martial law was declared, or if they stopped short.) At that point, I'd say sparing the family hours of waiting for someone to come pick up the body outweighs the value of the government not opening my destroyed property.

    I see the counter argument, I just disagree.

     
  • At 3:56 PM , Blogger RC said...

    By the way, how did you come across my little dot on the web?

    And can you explain what a Greater Clausian is?

     
  • At 12:40 PM , Blogger Glintir said...

    Ew.. two questions.

    I actually found your site, because I was posting to mine, and saw the title scroll by on blogger. I thought, what's a retro christian? And checked it out.
    You happened to strike a chord with a post, so I responded.

    A Greater Clausian is one who worships Santa Claus and his elves. The guiding principle of the belief is to be Nice and not Naughty. That puts it fairly simply, I suppose.

     
  • At 8:16 AM , Blogger RC said...

    Interesting.

    As for me, I never really believed in Santa Claus until I had kids of my own.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home